|“|| Well I never! Of all the prisons in the world, you went and landed yourself in mine.
Now I really don't want to dampen your spirits seeing as you're the new guy around here, but the fact is you will NEVER leave this island. What is left of your pitiful existence will be spent with me and my boys here in The Rock.
Enjoy your stay, punk..
|~ Warden Craig Monkford on Prison arrival|
|“|| Hello <player>.
I got your message, and I must say it's quite a risky thing yo ask! My job is to ferry prisoners TO the island, not AWAY.
|~ Officer Birdseye x on Prison arrival|
- 1 Summary
- 2 Layout
- 3 Schedule
- 4 Jobs
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Classical strategies
- 7 Console/Mobile strategies
Alcatraz is a DLC Map that was added to The Escapists on April 2nd, 2015. It costs $1.99. It is free on mobile as the mobile app itself is paid, which prompted the developers to include this map for free.
The prison is situated on an island. The main building of the prison is constituted of 24 cells, two blocks of 12 cells separated by the main central corridor. Each block is constituted of four rows of three cells separated by utility corridors in a cross pattern. The four cells most on the right, from the bottom, are unoccupied.
South of the cell block, from East to West, are the Barracks, the Parlor, and the Infirmary. On the West is the Exercise room, which also contains the Library. North of this room are the three solitary cells.
There are two exits on the North of the building, each protected by a Scanner :
- the left one, closed by a purple door, leads to an inner yard, surrounded by a high wall. From there, there is a corridor on the left, protected by an electrified fence, leading to a small room, then a second double corridor, north, to another building, the Job Center (Woodshop, Tailor room, Janitor room, and the Employment office).
- the central one, roughly aligned with the main corridor, leads to a small lobby, with three doors : a small (empty) storage room on the left, a corridor to the Showers on the right, and the Cafeteria on the top.
The totality of the buildings (main building and Job Center) is surrounded by an impenetrable three-layers thick wall. The only exceptions are a small portion south of the barracks, and the set yard-corridor-room-corridor leading to the Job Center.
|08:00 - 09:00||Morning Rollcall|
|09:00 - 10:00||Breakfast|
|10:00 - 13:00||Leisure \ Work Period|
|13:00 - 14:00||Afternoon Rollcall|
|14:00 - 16:00||Free Period|
|16:00 - 17:00||Evening Meal|
|17:00 - 18:00||Exercise Period|
|18:00 - 19:00||Shower Block|
|19:00 - 22:00||Evening Free Time|
|22:00 - 23:00||Evening Rollcall|
|23:00 - 08:00||Lights Out|
The free period music is different depending on your game version
- On PC the free period music is a unique Alcatraz free period soundtrack.
- On Console the free period music is the Stalag Flucht free period soundtrack.
- On Mobile the free period music is the Santa's Sweatshop free period soundtrack. (Bug)
- Janitor (10 intellect)
- Tailor (30 intellect)
- Woodshop (50 intellect)
At the beginning, all three jobs are already occupied by another prisoner on PC. To get a job, you'll need to beat one down, or at least occupy him during a big part of the Work Period.
On console and mobile the player starts with the Janitor job.
A good strategy is to attack him on the way of his job, then let him run after you for the next two minutes, making sure not to distance him too much. You can also stop near a guard, and let him attack you. The guard will then target him, and beat him down. There, to win additional time, you can steal his prisoner outfit; once awakened, he will have to go back to his cell to get a new one, and will surely be unable to meet his quota, and then get fired.
- Alcatraz is a prison based on the real life prison, Alcatraz, which opened in the 1930s and closed in 1963.
- The prison in real life was considered inescapable, however, three men did escape and were never found. It is unknown if they died during the escape.
- Even though Alcatraz is the most high security prison in the world most versions can have you escape in 1-3 days easily
- There is a bug on the mobile version where Alcatraz and most other DLC prisons will play the Santa's Sweatshop free period music instead of the map's free period music.
The main goal to escape is to reach the North-Eastern shore of the island, where Officer Birdseye will wait for you on a boat. You'll also need to have $250 (note: it seems you only need $250 on PC version, on console and mobile you just need to get to the dock).
Getting the $250
The most straightforward strategy is through the favours. With an average ~$18 per mission this can take quite a bit, especially if you take the "distraction" missions, as there is a great chance to be caught by the guards, and lose money once sent to the Infirmary (sometimes you can even lose more money than you earned via the mission). You can also take a job.
Getting outside the cell
The first step is to get outside the cell on night. There are at least two options:
- Simply make a copy of the Cell Key. The strategy is the usual beat down of the Guard #1 (either in single combat or by using a Cup of Molten Chocolate), making a Key Mold of his key with a Wad of Putty, and afterwards making a Plastic Key with the mold and some Molten Plastic.
- Chip the wall to get to the back corridor, then cover the hole with a Fake Wall Block or a Poster. From the corridor, you can either chip the other wall, north, (again, covering the hole with a Fake Wall Block, a Poster, or even the Wall Block if you're confident enough in the fact that you won't come back), or use a plastic Utility Key twice.
Getting outside the prison
Once outside your cell, there are two main ways of escape: through the guards barracks (south), or through the Job Center (north-west).
Escape via the barracks
- Needed : Copy of the Staff Key, copy of the Entrance Key OR a good cutting tool ( Sturdy Cutters) and a Fake Fence, and a good chipping tool ( Sturdy Pickaxe / Multitool). Optionally a Fake Wall Block / Poster if you want a special insurance.
Go South/South-South-East of the prison. Go through the barracks door with the plastic Staff Key, then south through the lobby door, either with a plastic Entrance Key, or by cutting the fence and then placing a Fake Fence. The latter is more risky, as you can be interrupted multiple times by patrolling guards, and it will cost you Fatigue, making the next step also more risky. Once in the small lobby between the Purple Door and the White Door, you have to chip the outside wall. This is the most delicate step. Stop chipping the wall immediately if you see any patrolling guard coming in your direction. You can stay there quite a bit if you wear a Guard Outfit, without raising too much suspicion. With a Sturdy Pickaxe or a Multitool, it will only take 5 times to get trough the wall. Once you're through, replace the Wall Block you just chipped, or place a Fake Wall Block/Poster. Then, just follow the path East, then North. At then end of the path, you will see the docks and a boat with a guard on board. Just get on the boat to escape.
Escape via the Job Center
- Needed : Copy of the Entrance Key, a good chipping tool, a Contraband Pouch / Durable Contraband Pouch, and optionally a wall cover (Poster/Fake Wall Block).
Once outside of your cell, go North-North-West to the inner yard, in direction of the Job Center. Since it's after 22:00, you'll need an Entrance Key, and also a Contraband Pouch, as there is a Scanner. Once in the small room between the corridors, chip the wall south (only two tiles are chip-able in the whole room, and both are ok to chip anyway), go through the hole, and either replace the Wall Block, or place a wall cover. Follow the shore counter-clockwise (South, then East, and finally North) till you reach the docks with the boat. Escape.
The way can be prepared entirely and pretty easily before the breakout. You can start chipping the wall in the small room during the day, letting it near breaking point, or even break it and put a wall cover. With a Poster, and using Plastic Forks, you won't even need a Contraband Pouch to get your material near the wall. Just be careful of the patrolling guards. With a Poster or a Fake Wall Block already in place, you'll only need to have a Plastic Entrance Key and a Contraband Pouch on you during the escape.
1 Day Way (Chipping Escape)
As the south end of the prison is open to prisoners you can simply get 5 forks. Get a poster. Get a contraband pouch. Get a guard outfit. Go to the janitor's closet.(south end of the prison) Go more south until you see a detector. Go through the detector. You'll see a red door. Chip beside it so you can get out! Put your poster. Put on your guard outfit. Walk out in broad daylight. Walk the edges of the island, find the dock. (On Console/Mobile, Officer Birdseye does not appear so no money is needed) Walk to the end of the dock and escape!
1 Day Way (Key Escape)
There is a very fast escape made by thesuicidefox. This allows you to escape very quickly (I got 71 in-game minutes/escape at 9:11). First, you're going to want to find a rake. Equip it, then find Guard #4 and knock him out. To do this, you have to hit and run, until you gain 11 health, and then hit him again, and run, and hit. Repeat this until he's knocked out. When you hit him the last time, you're going to want to make sure that you knock him out nearby the janitor's desk. Pick him up and run downwards past the janitor's room and carry him through the security scanner. Drop him on the ground. Afterwards, take his key (he should have the red one), pick him back up, and run through the door. Give him back his key and run right and follow the water until you reach a dock. Run to the end and escape! (This only works on Xbox One and mobile devices as far as I know.)
The alcove with the red key door leading to the prison outskirts cannot be acssesed by guards on mobile. (unknown if this is true on pc or console) For example: A guard catches you chipping next to the door he will attempt to chase you but somehow fail to go through the contraband detector and will give up.