Guards are a type of character in the game. They patrol the prison regularly to prevent escape attempts and otherwise maintain order. In the game, there are two kinds of guards; Prison Guards, which patrol the prison, and Tower Guards, which stand at top towers and will shoot at players if their Guard Heat is above 89. The Escapists 2 adds dogs and SWAT guards, and guards will attack at a heat of 80+ instead of 90+.
Guard Dog/Police Dog (The Escapists 2 Only)
Main article: Guard Dogs
Exclusive to The Escapists 2, the Guard Dog has several behaviors that differentiate them from regular guards. they will raise your Heat to 100 if they sniff contraband. Weapons won't do anything against dogs. Note: dogs are unstoppable. If you beat up a guard with a guard dog, it will limit the amount of time you can access their inventory. After the medics have collected the guard, the dog will return back to the kennels.
- Usually found patrolling the perimeter of the prison at second and fourth security level, following the guard and walking themselves during a lockdown.
- Rest in dog cages, which are found in kennels.
- Moves extremely fast when chasing inmates.
- Will attack inmates with a heat of 80 or higher during a lockdown.
- Do more damage than regular guards and are invulnerable (can't be harmed).
- Can enter and travel through air vents, can locate inmates hiding in the lockers.
- Can sniff out contraband, but won't attack unless a lockdown is present. Your heat raises to 100 if they sniff contraband in your inventory.
- Will hunt down keys and key cards stolen from guards during Lockdown, and will return keys to their owners.
- This includes keys placed inside the player's desk hidden compartment. Though they only remove the key and nothing else.
- Even if the key is hidden for the entire Lockdown they still look for the key.
- Guard dogs cannot be stopped and will attack the inmate until they are knocked out.
- The opinion of a dog can be raised by successfully completing the Kennels job, available in certain prisons.
Riot Guards (The Escapists 2 Only)
Main article: Riot Guard
Riot Guards or SWAT guards are riot specialized guards that rest in the Control Room until the Lockdown state is triggered. They're better equipped than normal guards with Metal Batons and Riot Guard Outfits. They won't be knocked out with a single hit from a Makeshift Stungun or Cup of Molten Chocolate, the player must hit twice to knock out a SWAT guard. There are always two of them in every classic prison. They function identically to other guards (e.g: they report escape attempts or damage and attack mischievous Inmates). Knocking one out is also the only way to obtain the weapons and armor they use. The Control Room contains the contraband desk which holds confiscated items and items that can be required for some Favours. One of them always has a Purple Key and the other a Red Key. Defeating them can be difficult; you either need a weapon, armor, good stats, or a good strategy.
Note from someone: In Santa's Shakedown you can go to the 2nd floor from the Control room and do something to alert the camera, once a swat guard checks it out, you can attack him, don't worry about being knocked out, you're in the medical bay, right?
Prison Guard/Police Officer
In Desktop TE1, Guards you knock out will attack you once they wake up. This lasts until you escape from them chasing you.
- Guards that witness prisoners fighting will attack them. If they witness you start a fight, they will attack you and the target.
- Guards in TE2 sometimes randomly attack NPC inmates.
- Guards at roll call choose two prisoners whose cells will be searched for contraband.
- Guards will attack you if they see you stealing from other inmates or if your guard heat is above 89% (79% in The Escapists 2).
- If a guard catches you chipping, digging, or cutting, they'll attack and raise your heat to 99% instantly.
- In The Escapists 2, heat raises to 100% and lockdown occurs.
- If a guard picks up dropped contraband, it cannot be retrieved afterward.
- In The Escapists 2, you can retrieve your dropped contraband by picking them up in the Guards' contraband storage desk that is always near their control room. If you lost any very important items, do it fast because if it is full, some contraband will disappear to make room for other contraband.
- Guards will not attack you in hiding, even above 89%
- If a guard finds the following, you will be sent to Solitary. In The Escapists 2, a lockdown will trigger instead of immediately being sent to solitary (the guard dogs will KO you shortly after).
- Finds evidence of tunneling, cutting, or chipping.
- Catches you outside of your cell after lights out without a guard outfit equipped. (Riot guard or regular guard)
- In The Escapists 2, guards will follow you if you have a heat at or above their opinion level. Guards with an opinion of 80 or above won't follow you unless they are trying to attack you, while guards with an opinion of 0 will usually follow you no matter what your heat is. This can be prevented by raising a guard's opinion or avoiding being spotted by them.
- In The Escapists 2, extra guards can be found in the Guard Quarters during low Security Levels.
Guards wear a Guard Outfit. If you are near guards while wearing it, Infirmary Overalls, or a Civilian Outfit, the player's heat will go up rapidly, 3% at a time in the Escapists 1, but 1% in the Escapists 2. It can be worn to grant you exclusive permissions (i.e., free desk looting). This item is especially useful during Lights Out, when you are prohibited from wandering around the prison as an inmate. However, if you don't place a Bed Dummy in your bed at night and your cell is spotted empty, a lockdown will be called and you will be sent to solitary. This outfit will be confiscated immediately.
This states how much a guard likes you. A guard with a low opinion of you will tear down sheets and posters placed by the player, and is more likely to call your name at roll call. A guard with a high opinion of you is less likely to call your name at roll call, and won't attack you if they see you fighting. It is best to have guards to have a high opinion of you. In the Escapists 2, a guard with a lower opinion is more likely to keep watch of you.
Not to be confused with the Control Room.
In the Escapists 2, guards have an area within the prison that contains their own quarters. Extra guards will wander around here, never leaving the room until the security level rises. Despite their idleness, they can still raise heat, chase you around, and check cameras outside the guard quarters. Like inmate cells, each guard room has a desk and a bed. However, guard desks contain a narrower variety of loot (e.g. Medikit, Screwdriver, Adrenaline Shot). This area is restricted, so if you are seen by a guard or a camera, your heat will increase.
Tower Guards are the last line of defense against escapists who get outside the wall. These guards will shoot at any players with a sufficiently high guard heat (90% and more, but 80% or more in the Escapists 2), dealing 20 (or 40) damage per shot, unaffected by armor (is affected by armor in the Escapists 2). The shots will be almost instant in The Escapists 1 but will take time to lock on in The Escapists 2. In Console and Mobile versions of The Escapists 1 it is possible to dodge the shots if you are lucky, however in PC versions they will always hit the player.
They will see players who attempt to dig, cut or chip while outdoors, immediately raising heat and (TE2) beginning Lockdown.
Tower guards go home during the night, which is one way to get past them. Picking up a knocked-out character will also stop them from shooting you. In PC the tower guards will only be out from 6 am to 3pm. In the Escapists 2 they go home at 1 AM, indicated when the "Return to Cell" bar disappears from the minimap.