Shankton State Pen
|Shankton State Pen|
|The first prison made in The Escapists.|
|“||Welcome to Shankton State Pen, your new home for the foreseeable future. Since I've been warden we've had a few daring escapists among us, but they were promptly scooped back up and punished. No one escapes on my watch, so don't get any ideas! If you forget any of the rules around here, the guards batons will only be too glad to remind you!||„|
|~ Warden [name] on Prison arrival|
- 1 Summary
- 2 Schedule
- 3 Jobs
- 4 Escape Strategies
- 5 How to Escape Without A Key
- 6 Prison Takeover
- 7 "The Long and Winding Road... that leads... to your- cell?"
- 8 An inconspicuous guy using bedsheets on a roof
- 9 The Lucky Speedrunner's Escape
- 10 Notes
Summary[edit | edit source]
Shankton State Pen is the third map present in the main game, preceded by Stalag Flucht and succeeded by Jungle Compound. It is labelled as "moderate", featuring an indoor prison built on a grassy plain. It holds 20 prisoners (yourself included) and has 10 officers. It houses 1 inmate per cell. The prison has contraband detectors at the dining room, the door that leads to outside, the gym, the kitchen (Note: will need to apply for the job or steal a Green Key to enter.) , the laundry room (also need to apply or green key) , Solitary Cells, the showers and the infirmary. Shankton also has its own free time music, which has been used in a number of bonus prisons and a remixed version of the music was used in Precinct 17 (Escapists 2).
Schedule[edit | edit source]
|08:00 - 09:00||Morning Rollcall|
|09:00 - 10:00||Breakfast|
|10:00 - 13:00||Work Period|
|13:00 - 14:00||Mid-day Rollcall|
|14:00 - 16:00||Afternoon Free Time|
|16:00 - 17:00||Evening Meal|
|17:00 - 18:00||Exercise Period|
|18:00 - 19:00||Shower Block|
|19:00 - 22:00||Evening Free Time|
|22:00 - 23:00||Evening Rollcall|
|23:00 - 08:00||Lights out|
Jobs[edit | edit source]
- Janitor (default)
Escape Strategies[edit | edit source]
Strategy 1[edit | edit source]
- Get your stats up at the gym + library to about 80 points each. The best armour is the Plated Inmate Outfit and the best weapon is a whip or Nunchucks. These will make fighting a lot easier. Another option is to make a Cup of Molten Chocolate. Also, make sure you obtain 2 pieces of timber for a Timber Brace, as this is important for the last step.
- To get a key, you need to have a Wad of Putty and Molten Plastic. Beat up a Guard, ideally out of sight of other Guards, or recruit other inmates to do it. Take his Key, and combine it with the Wad of Putty to make a Key Mould. Be sure to return the Key to the guard while he's still knocked out. (If this step is skipped, you will be thrown into Solitary, and your inventory and desk cleaned.) Then use the Molten Plastic and Key Mould to make a Plastic Key.
- Make a Sheet Rope to get down from the roof.
- Make a Sturdy Shovel/Lightweight Shovel or get a Trowel for digging.
- Keep trying different guards until you get the Utility Key (Orange on PC and Cyan on Console/Mobile). Go into the tunnel behind your cell.
- You're now on the roof. To walk around outside, you need a Guard Outfit (Inmate Outfit + Tub of Bleach = Infirmary Overalls, Infirmary Overalls + Jar of Ink = Guard Outfit) or you can steal one from a knocked out Guard.
- Climb down using the Sheet Rope.
- Cut through the fence.
- Dig under the walls and you're free.
Shortened explanation[edit | edit source]
- Get your stats to 80 each
- Get 2 pieces of timber for a Timber Brace.
- Get 2 Bed Sheets for a Sheet Rope.
- Make a Sturdy/Lightweight Shovel or get a trowel
- Get a Plastic Utility Key
- Get a Guard Outfit
- Climb the ladder behind your cell up to the roof
- Once outside, use the Sheet Rope to get down from the roof, cut the fence and dig under the wall and you're free!
How to Escape Without A Key[edit | edit source]
You will need 1 or 2 Bars of Chocolate, Lightweight/Sturdy Shovel, Guard Outfit, Cutting Floss or better cutting equipment, Fake Vent Cover, Fake Fence Cover, Bed Dummy, possibly a Lightweight Pickaxe and Sheet Rope for the escape.
Go into the vents in your cell at night and put a Bed Dummy on the bed. Follow the vents the lead to above the laundry room. Put on the Guard Outfit and go on the roof. Stay out of the Searchlights and use the Sheet Rope to get to the ground. You can now get rid of the Sheet Rope. Walk to the left/east until you see the fence. Find the part where the outer fence is 1 block wide and is vertical. Use the Cutting Floss/Cutting Tool to cut the fence. Use the shovel to burrow under the outer wall and use the pickaxe to remove any rocks in your path. When you are past the wall, dig up and you have achieved freedom.
Another way of escaping this prison is to
- Get your intellect up to 80
- Get Plastic Spoons or any shovel
- Go to the hidden area in the library
- Dig straight for a long distance
- Dig out of your hole
- YOU ARE FREE!
Prison Takeover[edit | edit source]
- You will need stats to be over 70 each
- Get a good weapon
- Wait until job time (do it after completing your quota/attending the job office) or free time
- Knock out at least 8 guards until you get the letter from the warden
- Go to the southern exit from the building, contraband detectors won't work after you get the letter, nor will snipers.
- Walk out of there using the open door
- YOU ARE FREE!
"The Long and Winding Road... that leads... to your- cell?"[edit | edit source]
This is the longest escape, but the most clandestine escape. Note that any prison escapes with this method can take 10-12 days, or longer.
Preparation[edit | edit source]
- Grab as many plastic knives and Plastic Forks as possible.
- Buy/loot/steal/find duct tape and foil from Inmates. Craft 2-3 contraband pouches (3 would be more advisable. If you can, craft 3 durable contraband pouches)
- Get the Woodshop job by getting your intellect up to 50.
- Smuggle as much timber out of the woodshop as you can. You'll need a lot of timber for the escape. Expect to go through 1-2 contraband pouches smuggling timber.
- Get the Metalshop job by getting your intellect up to 70-80.
- Smuggle as much metal out of the metalshop as you can. You'll need a lot of sheet metal for the escape as well. Expect to go through 1-2 pouches as well while smuggling metal.
- Find 6-7 rolls of duct tape.
- Clear EVERYTHING out of your desk. Drop the comb, soap, and anything else that came in your desk. Stash the Sheets of Metal, Timber, and Rolls of Duct Tape in your desk. If there's no space, stash it in a toilet.
- Craft a Sturdy Shovel and a Sturdy Pickaxe.
- Using the Plastic Forks, chip away at the wall until it breaks and reveals the Utility Corridor.
- Get the Kitchen Jobs.
- Take as much Cooked Food out of the kitchen as you can.
- At Lights Out, put a Bed Dummy in your bed, go to the Utility Corridor, and dig straight east.
- Take handfuls of plastic knives and drop them in the tunnel. Brace the tunnel with Timber Braces.
- Chip away at any rocks that block your path with Plastic Forks or a Sturdy Pickaxe.
- Dig until you reach a tunnel that is 18 tiles in length, using Plastic Spoons and the Sturdy Shovel. If you can't attain the minimum length or if your shovel is almost broken, stop and collect more plastic spoons the next day. Use the plastic spoons first, and never use the shovel more than twice on a block per day. If your shovel drops below 4%, cease using it entirely.
- Once your 18-tile limit is reached, dig straight up around the perimeter walls and escape.
An inconspicuous guy using bedsheets on a roof[edit | edit source]
Here are the key items you need to escape:
- Grappling Hook
- Bed Sheet (1-2)
- Fake Utility Key
- Guard Outfit OR Infirmary Overalls
- Flimsy Cutters, Lightweight Cutters or Sturdy Cutters
- Get 4-6 Plastic Forks.
- Get 3 Bed Sheets.
- Get a Poster or Fake Wall Block (Poster recommended)
- Put the Bed Sheets over your cell so the guards can't see you chipping (NOTE: If you name gets drawn in Rollcall, they will take down the sheets covering your cell)
- Chip into the Utility Shaft (The black area behind your cell. NOTE: Don't put any items near the orange door or else a guard will notice it and take the items in the shaft)
- Get a Tub of Talcum Powder and a Tube of Toothpaste.
- Get your Intelligence up to 90.
- Craft a Wad of Putty (Talcum Powder + Toothpaste)
- Find the guard with the Orange Key (It's the second guard in the rename characters section before starting a game)
- Knock him out.
- Take his key and his outfit, remember don't get caught doing it.
- Craft a Utility Key Mould and place the original key back in the guard's inventory.
- Get a Lighter and a Comb or Toothbrush.
- Craft Molten Plastic out of the two.
- Craft the Utility Key Mould and the Molten Plastic together to make a Fake Utility Key.
- Combine the two Crowbars and the Duct Tape to make a Grapple Head.
- Then Combine the Grapple Head with the Length of Rope to make a Grappling Hook.
- Get 2-4 Bed Sheets.
- Make 1-2 Sheet Ropes.
- Get 1 Bed Sheet and 2 Pillows.
- Make a Bed Dummy.
Now here's how you escape:
- At Lights Out, place the Bed Dummy on your bed and also have 3 Bed Sheets cover the cell bars.
- Go through the wall using the poster and put it back.
- Go up the ladder (should be on the right of the shaft)
- Go right again until you see another ladder.
- Go up it, you'll be on the roof.
- Head left from there avoiding the Spotlights (You will need to traverse several roof layers by using the Sheet Rope and Grappling Hook)
- You will find a grey thin line that leads to another area, cross it, but don't fall down!
- You will see a fence, cut it. Don't worry about using a Fake Fence to cover it. There's no need.
- Use the grappling hook one more time to go over the main wall of the prison
- Congratulations! You're free!
The Lucky Speedrunner's Escape[edit | edit source]
The only item required for this escape is a Sturdy Shovel (and some cooked food for energy purposes, though they are often unnecessary).
- Acquire a Sturdy Shovel. The easiest way to do this is by searching desks and raising your intelligence whenever possible. To make your escape faster, skip certain events during the day and lose your janitorial job in favor of pilfering and studying. Do favours to gain money, as some shops will have the merchandise you need.
- Make sure you have no other contraband in your desk before executing the rest of the plan. If you are called for shakedown and any of your contraband is found, you'll be thrown in Solitary.
- Equip the Sturdy Shovel into your first slot. All other slots should be empty (unless you have cooked chicken, in which case, proceed). Keep in mind that you will need spare inventory space to collect the dirt from your digging.
- By 22:00, exit the main prison area and enter the prison yard at the northernmost exit (nearest to your cell). After 22:00, this will not be possible as the doors will be locked for evening roll call. The southernmost exit is not ideal, since it harbors a contraband detector.
- Travel leftwards on the path until you reach the door that requires the warden's key (white). This gate is to the left of the Visitation Center.
- Stay out there until the prison goes into lockdown. Be wary of guards checking the areas to your right and left.
- Once lockdown begins, you are now in a 90 second time crunch to get out of there-- dig like your life depends on it, down under the fence and out!!
- Enjoy your newfound freedom!
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There is a notable bug where if you leave the janitor room and a guard spots you leaving it, you gain guard heat due to "being in another inmate's cell" despite not actually being in one. This may not be in the console versions.
- There is another bug where if a guard sees you get too close to specific walls, you will gain guard heat for “being in another inmate’s cell” despite not being inside of one.